Stories that inspired M.R. James

Twelve tales of terror recommended by the master of the genre!

Buy our eBook

Episode 65 – The Story of the Moor Road

May 15, 2018 | Episodes | Comments (14)

Original illustration from The Story of the Moor Road

This episode Mike and Will return to the realms of the ‘psychic detective’ in this tale from mother-son writing team Kate and Hesketh Hesketh-Prichard. Expect terror on the moors with malevolent earth spirits, coughing ghosts, ominous otters and even a bicycle chase scene!

A big thanks to Rob Douglas, who provided the readings for this episode.

Head over to Friends of Count Magnus to find out more about the M.R. James conference that is taking place in York this September!

Story notes

Tags: , , ,

1. Jeff says:

Looking forward to hearing this one.

It would be great if you could do a series of podcasts featuring Golden Age occult detectives – Carnacki, Solar Pons, Dr. John Silence, Jules de Gradin et. al. I know that’s straying away from the theme of M. R. James, but how about it chaps? 🙂

2. MarkB says:

I was going to say that I had never stumbled on this sub-genre (or hybrid genre), but then I remembered the Rivals of Sherlock Holmes television series. Wasn’t there a ghost horse involved? Or a man in a horse costume? Carnaki, perhaps?

I suspect that the audience for this sort of thing was more interested in atmosphere than plot logic. The interest in spiritualism was certainly real. Given the popularity of mash-ups today, the ghost/detective genre makes more sense.

• Jeff says:

That would have been ‘The Horse of the Invisible’. Donald Pleasence played Carnacki.

It’s on You Tube if you want to revisit it!

3. RogerBW says:

Speaking as a pipe smoker, seven pipes in an evening would leave me sickened for days, assuming I managed to force myself so far. Of course, some people doubtless smoke more.

I think the problem of doing the Holmesian reveal here is that, in a Holmes story, the reader knows that there are trains and fallen women and cigars and so on, and roughly how they can behave; but the reader cannot be assumed to know the nature of elemental earth spirits, so the “solution” is no solution. It would be fine if there were a standard taxonomy of such things, but when no two authors use the same one…

4. Jeff says:

Why are my comments ‘awaiting moderation’?

5. Daniel says:

Speaking, also, as a pipe smoker, the paranormal detective gig must pay quite well. Unless pipes and tobacco was dirtcheap back then..

6. hjjk says:

WHAT ABOUT Featherston’s Story by Mrs Henry Wood ??????????????

7. hjjk says:

EPISODE 64 ????????????????????????????????

8. Joyce says:

Carnacki does tackle a ghost horse (or is it?) in “The Horse of the Invisible”. I like the Carnacki stories, although they try to play fair by having some of the phenomena turn out to be fraudulent, and I’m not sure I approve of that: too Scooby-Doo. Among psychical detectives, Carnacki seems to be on the more competent side. “The Whistling Room” is a Carnacki story I like.

Carnacki, the Ghost Finder

For your vengeful supernatural otter literary needs, try “Laura” by Saki, collected in:

Beast and Super-Beasts

• Jeff says:

Tobermory, another of Saki’s short stories, is an entertaining and slyly humorous read. It’s about a talking cat. No ghosts in it though 🙂

9. Laura says:

I think that Barbara Roden (could be another person) wrote a pastiche short story where Flaxman-Low meets Sherlock Holmes working for the new owners of Lufford Abbey, I can’t remember where it was published though

10. Rick Kennett says:

Yes, that was Barbara Roden who wrote the Flaxman Low meets Sherlock Holmes story, “The Things That Shall Come Upon Them.” It appeared in the anthology GASLIGHT GRIMOIRE, published by Edge Press in 2008. I was in that book too with a story co-written with Chico Kidd, “The Grantchester Grimoire” — Carnacki meet Sherlock Holmes.

And to answer MarkB, that was a Carnacki story he saw in The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes, “The Horse of the Invisible.”

11. David McGarry says:

Looking forward to The Monkey’s Paw… my dad used to read it to my brother and I when we were little kids!

• Jeff says:

The Monkey’s Paw is the best psychological horror. Nothing is seen, it’s all implied.

It’s still as scary as hell though!